Saturday 4 December 2010

Week 4: 22 November 2010 (Monday)

Methods Lesson: Error Correction and Giving Feedback

What an interesting lesson! In the past, I never thought that there were numerous methods for correcting errors (especially the grammatical ones). By the end of today’s lesson, I realised that teachers indeed could have various ways to correct and give feedback to a single error.

Every coin has two sides. Each strategy has its own pros and cons. Whatever methods teachers apply, the most important issue is students should never be demotivated or discouraged to learn from their failures. Teachers should always try their best in providing students with constructive feedback as well as encouragement. Learning right from wrong with a motivating atmosphere can make students become more conscious of their errors and avoid from repeating them.

Among the correction techniques in writing tasks, my favourite one is ‘highlighting the GOOD but not the BAD’. This is really very positive. ‘Separate feedback document’ is also beneficial to students, but it may take time to do so. Above all, there are no ‘BAD’ but only ‘LAZY’ teachers in the world. I will employ these techniques in my teaching as long as they are helpful to my students.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad that you felt you had gained something from the error correction lesson.

    I had never thought of it this way, but you are right teachers may not be bad, just lazy! Think about the teachers ou have had in the past, how would you label them? Good, Bad or Lazy?

    TNT
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete